What causes bleeding while on Progesterone?

Question
I just had my period whch was 4 days and then I started using Progesterone Cremw- 1/4 tsp 2 times daily OTC- For the past 5 days now, I have been having bleeding when wiping. Is that normal. I am a 46 year old woman
Should I stop taking it
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Why are you taking progesterone

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Im not sure why you are taking progesterone. If you stop taking progesterone, withdrawal bleeding will occur. Can you tell me why you were taking it and whi advised you to take it.
Also at 46, you may very well have hormonal imbalance. Probably due to per-menopausal state to breakthrough bleeding is possible.

Follow-up: What causes bleeding while on Progesterone? 4 minutes later
I thought I would try it as I was having bad PMS- irritability, sleeplessness, etc.
My doctor is out of town until Monday. Should I quit taking it?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop taking progesterone

Detailed Answer:
Well, you should not taken unprescribed hormones. You are experiencing peri menopausal symptoms. If you take progesterone irregularly, then you will get irregular bleeding. You may need some form of hormone replacement therapy. But only after a complete examination. You can take tablet tranexemic acid thrice dailly to stop the bleeding. Consult you doctor for HRT if the peri-menopausal symptoms are too much to handle. Tibolone etc might be a better form. But do consult your doctor first to establish the need for HRT after examination.

Follow-up: What causes bleeding while on Progesterone? 11 minutes later
Hopefully I did not hurt my system with these few days! I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and his other colleagues are busy this week. Is it okay to wait until Monday. Again the bleeding is only when wiping. Thanks so much for your help!

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should not be a problem

Detailed Answer:
Just a few days should not have caused any problem. You can take tranexemic acid if the bleeding is increased otherwise no need.
You can definitely wait till monday.