question-icon

What causes bleeding spot near tonsil?

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: i have a black round spot that was bleeding a small amount on my tonsil ? it has turned white in part of it over the last 24 hours
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Traumatic ulcer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The description given by you seems to be related to the trauma over the tonsil. The black spot would be the blood clot, following trauma. The whitish spot could be the slough over the traumatic region.

If you could kindly send me an image of the same, I'll be able to help you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar (1 hour later)
i uploaded a picture
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It's a blood clot over the right tonsil

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back and uploading the image.

I have examined the image thoroughly and I would stick on to the comments I made in my previous response.

Do not worry! It's not harmful. I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water and do gargles with warm water; the clots will get dislodged.

Hope this clarifies your doubts; wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist