What causes bleeding from testicles while urinating and coughing?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Men's Health
Question: I went to the toilet to relieve myself, after starting to pee I started to cough, I held the penis while I coffed then finished, I then discovered blood coming from a blood vessel from the testicle, I have a badaid on it and seems to have stopped the bleeding . should I contact someone
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should resolve on its own

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Urinating involves increased pressure to allow the urine to come out. Coughing is also associated with an increase in pressure (this is the reason it can worsen hernias).

This may have caused the bleeding to occur. It is likely that it would resolve on its own completely. If you notice any discoloration due to the bleeding, this would normally resolve within a few days, color changes may occur as the blood breaks down.

If you remain concerned then you should see your doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions