question-icon

What causes bleeding from rectum during defecation?

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: Thanks Dr.
I am 69 with no polyps as of three years ago. Hemroids have bled bright red on occasion over the years but now 2 of 3 movements show dark red with what appear as fat globules. I just saw my doctor who suggested the Diverticulitis conditions but I have no pain left or right so he prescribed no antibiotics. Still bleeding. No history of cancer.
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Get colonoscopy examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

Since there is no pain it does not appear to be diverticulitis first thing

It is a painless bleed per rectum. It may be due to hemorrhoids, some colonic growth, inflammatory bowel disease, infection. So I will suggest you to get a colonoscopy examination that is an examination of colon with a tube with camera on it, to confirm whats going on inside. So that it can be managed accordingly

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist