What causes bleeding from mouth?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor, I have an issue which I am very worried about. About 2 weeks ago I noticed blood when I spit, mixed with salivia. I went to a&e. The doctor examined me in terms of making me open my mouth, say ahhh and putting a light to check in my mouth and throat. I have no cough but I am a smoker. When I do cough and bring up mucus, there is no blood. It happens when I gather it up in my mouth and spit out. There is traces of blood (pink coloured as mixed with salivia) This has been going on for 2 weeks now. Its worse at night. I went to see my gp who did the same tests and again said its nothing to worry about. The first doctor said its coming from the throat and isn't the bad type of blood. Just over a week ago I went to the dentist who cleaned my teeth and removed my wisdom tooth. There was a lot of bleeding after this. (I went dentist after I saw blood in my salivia). This has all healed now but the traces of blood are still there, still the same and agaion happen a little more at night. Seems to happen when my head is up but this may just be in my mind. Its seems like its coming from my mouth as when I gather it and spit, blood comes out but there are no cust or sores in my mouth although gums are a little red. When I put a tissue in my mouth, no traces of blood are there. Could this be coming from the salivary glands themselves and if so, could this be a serious illness?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healthcaremagic,

There are numerous blood vessels in the throat. They are very superficial and lie very close to the surface. If you clear your throat very vigorously or cough a lot then there is a chance that these superficial blood vessels rupture leading to little bleeding. In all probability this is happening in your case.

Do not hack or clear your throat very vigorously. Do some warm salt water gargling 4 -5 times daily. You can see an ENT specialist. He / she will look into your throat with an endoscope. It helps to see deep inside your throat which is not seen directly. Insist on getting this procedure, it will help to settle your anxiety.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.