What causes bleeding from mouth?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, iv been have been haveing blood when clearning throat off and on for a few years now, sometimes its large streaks, sometimes small and goes away, my mouth often feels acidic at night, and my saliva is either white foamy or frothy. Iv had cbc, larygoscopy recently, and a chest xray a year or so back, there was nothing in them, i did not get a chest ct however. The blood is often thick redish and sometimes dark redish, it only comes when I hear flowing sound/sensation in my chest or near abodminal. I am slightly overweight but not much, this has been going on for 3 years. I was given Omez for a week but im not sure if it helped since this comes and goes. I would like your guidance. also iv not experinced any pain.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a CT chest and a endoscopy(UGIE) done .

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXXX,

There are many causes for bleeding from the mouth. The common ones being trauma while clearing your throat forcefully or infection of throat, nose or sinuses. It could even be the gums, the blood getting accumulated in throat and then coming out when clearing it.

Other causes could be from lungs or stomach. Do you suffer from any lung problem like chronic cough or do you have acidity problem. Then there are bleeding disorders but in that case there should be bleeding from some other site as well.

Since you have already undergone basic investigations, it`s unlikely that you have any serious problem. But I suggest, if it`s worrying you considerably, go ahead and get a CT chest and a endoscopy(UGIE) done to rule out any major ailment.
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 minutes later
hello doctor,
I do often have bloating sensation and gas as of late, along with wet burping sesation on rare occasions. I do bleed from gums at times but it is quiet little and rare. This mostly comes when I clear throat after taking a deep breath.

I try not to clear my throat hardly, and only do it gently in the morning because i have clear gel like congestion every morning. I do not have a cough, but do have nose allergies sometimes.

I dont have any lung issues that i know of, but I might have an issue with acidity although i haven't experienced heartburn. I have bad eating habbits in that i take too much chocolate, and sometimes bread. I don't smoke or drink.

thank you for your time, I will try to get an endoscopy too.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you.

Getting a CT chest and an endoscopy will help in putting your doubts to rest.