What causes bleeding from ears along with terrible headache?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello,

My husband had a terrible headache this morning and it was accompanied by bleeding in his ear. It bled for several hours before stopping. We are not sure what to do, if anything, as they symptoms have subsided.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get ENT evaluation for structural lesion of the ear

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. I am an adult neurologist and headache specialist from XXXXXXX OH.

I must admit that in all my years as headache doctor, I've never had a patient with primary headaches accompanied by what could be referred technically as OTORRHAGIA. You've given few details on the bleeding itself whether it was profuse, or trickling, was there ear pain as well? Did you or anybody else attempt to use a flashlight to see anything that could've been on the outer wall of the ear canal from where the bleeding was coming? Was it bright red blood or darker? And the headaches....does your husband get headaches that are severe...even if only occasionally or was this is a completely unique experience for him? Is your husband a known hypertensive, smoker, heavy drinker of alcohol? Is he on blood thinner?

Was there nausea, vomiting, vertigo, ringing in the affected ear, throbbing? If you'd give more detail I may understand more fully what could've happened.

Definitely, my recommendation at this point if symptoms have subsided would be to seek out an ENT specialist who can do a full examination of that ear. Something structural must've have been the source of the bleeding. Question is whether it was from the outer canal or from the middle ear which then, either perforated the eardrum or seeped through. Is there an aneurysm in what is known as the IAC or Internal Auditory Canal? For this question to be answered he will need an a high resolution MRI with gadolinium contrast of the IAC looking at the whole compartment for fistulas, AVM's, and other types of vascular anomalies.

I hope this answer satisfactorily addresses your question. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other questions or comments, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so this question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary.

Please direct more comments and questions to me in the future at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi and I would be honored to answer you and/or continue this discussion.

All the best.

The query has required a total of 12 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist