What causes bleeding from a root canal treated tooth?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I had a root canal performed about 5 years ago and at night I wake up with a mouth full of blood coming from that tooth.. I can also apply pressure and suck on the area and draw up alot of blood is this bad?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gum infection, scaling and root planing, gum astringent.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the bleeding from a root canal treated tooth is concerned, it can be because of the gum infection secondary to deposits around the tooth. Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated. You need to get your teeth cleaned(scaling and root planing). Mean while you can use topical gum astringents like tannic acid(stolin), which prevents bleeding. Do saline gargling.
I hope i have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D