What causes bleeding during defecation in infant?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi, my 4 year old child had a bowl movement and when I wiped her there was bright red blood on the tissue but not in her stool. what could this be from???
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
In most cases in this age this is caused by hard stool and anal fisures or polyps or some enterocolitis. These are benign conditions. You should just give her more fluids to soften stool and watch for blood in future. If this persist, she should see gastroenterologist. another possiblity is that blood came from urethra or vagina,in this case she should do urine analysis to rule out uroinfection. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T