What causes bleeding after taking Unwanted 72?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Dr. Patra,
I am Dr. XXXXXXX (scientist), I had unprotected sex with my GF after 4 days of her period, thereafter I have given her UNWANTED 72 tablet to stop pregnancy. Soon after 4 days of first tablet we again had unprotected sex due to the condom leakage and again she had taken the UNWANTED 72. But now after 4 -5 days she had some reddish bleeding, I am really worried about her health. Is it so serious for her health or we have to wait till the bleeding stop or we have to visit any gynecologist. I will be extremely thankful for your advise. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
WITHDRAWAL BLEEDING. NOTHING TO WORRY.

Detailed Answer:

1) Reddish bleeding is due to withdrawal effect of Unwanted 72. It is quite NORMAL and PHYSIOLOGICAL phenomena. It will stop automatically within 3-5 days without further treatment. She would maintain genital hygiene properly.

2) Taking Unwanted 72 pill within first 24 hrs of unprotected sex gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Here, chance of pregnancy is extremely low.

3) I suggest her to wait for next coming period. It may be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance and stress. She must undergo one home pregnancy test if her period delays more than 1 week.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 18 hours later
Hi Dr. Patra,
Thanks for your suggestions.
Yesterday, the bleeding was low but today she had bleeding just as she use to have during periods (amount is higher). Is it serious?
Another important thing is that she doesn't have any kind of pain in lower abdomen as women have during periods.
Will you please give some idea what kind of food so that I can give her to recover.
I will be very thankful for your reply.
Thanks
Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) It is WITHDRAWAL bleeding due to effect of the pill. It is NOT her actual period. She may NOT get any abdominal cramp. It will stop automatically without further treatment. Just maintain genital hygiene properly and wait few days.

2) She can take healthy diet which she prefers. There is NO NEED to take special kind of foods during this time. Drink more water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and take adequate bed rest.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.

All the best and good luck.

Dr S Patra