What causes blank stares, tremors and mild cognitive impairment in a child?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Child - female-age 7 Blank stares, minor shaking and low muscle tone and has trouble running, climbing and still wets the bed - school and learning difficult at best has to work very, very hard - Memory skills very low. Quite mannered unless provoked then just lets it out and is done. 3 teachers at her new school mentioned these symptoms too at a recent conference. This has been going on for several years. Has gone to physical therapy in the past. Has seen several professionals, physiatrist , had a sleep study, EEG ? where probes were on her head for a weekend. Everything has been negative but, there is something going on ! Need to help her Heading to a pediatrician appointment this afternoon at 4:00 P.M. MST I was looking at some things - possibilities ? Absence Seizure Disorder_Urea Cycle Disorder Any ideas or what I could maybe ask the pediatrician ???
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Shaking, blank stares and cognitive decline is suggestive of brain involvement.
Possibility of absence seizure is high.
Brain MRI is required to look for any white matter disorder.
Metabolic syndromes like urea cycle defect, hypothyroidism ,renal dysfunction or liver dysfunction should be investigated.
Any history of perinatal insults like prolonged labour, meconium aspiration, neonatal jaundice or septicemia.
Possibility of Wilson's disease should be kept too.
Examination will be helpful in making the diagnosis.
You can upload all investigations and previous consultation prescription for evaluation by me.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist