• question-icon

What causes bladder problems in a Parkinson's disease patient?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: my wife has Parkinson at a 2 level. not sure it is the driver for her challenge. she has around only 2 minutes to get to a toilet (very little little warning physically) for a bm that is generally loose in structure but is uncontrollable from her standpoint. the challenge is that she soils before getting to the toilet. looking for a fix so this is a more controllable event....
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some treatments for it...

Detailed Answer:

Parkinson's disease (PD) may cause bladder problems. And there are some treatments for it. Some tests are required before initiating treatment though to exclude other causes and to assess her current status.

A urinalysis to exclude urinary tract infection is the first step she should take. Lower urinary tract infections may present with the same symptoms.

An ultrasound scan before and after micturition is another helpful test to document potential inability to empty her bladder completely.

PD may cause urgency by inducing bladder overactivity and this can be managed with drug that reduce it like tolterodine for example. PD may also cause inability to relax the sphincter muscles of the urethra, thus preventing the bladder from emptying. This type of disorder is more difficult to treat. The drugs for overactive bladder won't work and may even make things worse. If this is her case, she might need intermittent catheterization to empty her bladder regularly, in order to prevent her bladder from being full and causing her symptoms.

In any case, she'd better consult a urologist before trying anything!

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis