What causes blackouts and fainting attacks?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Jun 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My daughter just got up form the table and got dizzy and went to her knees the floor. she did not pass out but light headed and did not want to fall. she ahs passed out twice in the last couple of weeks. When I helped her up for the floor, she told me that she could no longer see. She only sees black and when she closes her eyes she does see some white lights as she moves her eyes around with her lids closed. she has a small head ache (4 on a scale of 1-10).

She was on Cymbalta for 4 weeks (30 mgs for 3 weeks and 60 for 1 week) then on Prozac for a week 20 mgs. She stopped Prozac 2 yesterday. Her only symptom today before this happened was that she was tired. She has been tired all the time she has been on meds. I have called her psychologist, psychiatrist and pediatrician. I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner at a neurologist tomorrow.

she has lost her sight for the last 20 minutes and is trying to listen to music and take a nap to see if she wakes up and is able to see.

what can cause this and what do you recommend that I do or take her to?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its due to Postural Hypotension

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms,

From the description given it appears to be due to postural hypotension with mild syncope. Some children develop fall in blood pressure on assuming standing position from either sitting or lying down position. This fall in blood pressure is due to pooling of blood in the veins of lower limb causing decreased venous return to heart-- decreased cardiac output leading on to hypotension. This hypotension causes decreased blood flow to brain and retinal(eyes) blood vessel typically producing blackout and near fainting attack.

There could be many causes for such presentation
1. Dehydration and decreased water intake
2. Hot humid surrounding
3. Some hysterical component may be there in some individuals.

Solution is simple

1. Avoiding standing suddenly from sitting or lying down position. Moving the lower limbs and then slowly rising will solve the issue
2. Maintain good hydration
3. Avoid Hypogylcemia( Low blood sugar) as it may worsen the symptoms

I would suggest you to consult Pediatric Cardiologist for further assessment.

In Case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCH
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon