What causes blackout spells?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I'm a 24 year old woman of 130 pounds 5'5". I've been having random incidents when I was either just standing still or walking slowly I would become blind for a few seconds and it felt as if all of my energy have been sucked away in an instant. I have not fell over and have stubbornly kept walking until my vision and energy eventually returned in a minute. I sleep more than 8 hours a night and I have not changed my diet. Yet, it has happened more frequently as I get older, especially during warm weather or when I am directly in the sunlight. However, when I had my blood tested all my levels appeared normal, my Iron, Calcium, and Vitamin D levels were in range. My doctor does not know what causes these blackout spells.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have dissociative disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

I think, you have episode of dissociative fugue or seizure disorder. You could recall the episode, so it can't be seizure. You can get your serum prolactin done. Try to get it done within 4 to 6 hours of episode. If it is raised then the chances of seizure is more. Along with that, you can get your MRI brain done to rule out any underline brain dysfucntion.

If all above tests come normal, then, the possibility is more towards dissociative disorder. It happens due to some stress. You need to take some antidepressant or low dose benzodiazepine that would help to suppress these episodes. You should consult a psychiatrist for proper mental status evaluation. Along with medication, you can also try some relaxation exercise that would keep you relax.

In case, you have further query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist