What causes black tarry stools while on Augmentin?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Black tarry stools, loose while taking augmentin. In know it may be side effect but should I stop?

Will it be much longer?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics and PPI

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

Yes, Augmentin can cause loose stools and balck, tarry stools may occur as a result of antibiotic induced gastritis.

In such cases, i don't initially stop the antibiotic.

I add up a Proton Pump inhibitor (PPI) like Omperprazole along with a good probiotic containing lactobacillus like Sporolac along with Augmentin.

If the problem doesn't resolve in next 2-3 days, then i consider changing the antibiotic.

Please share my opinion with your doctor.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.

Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
I'm already on a pair, but I will start prebiotic. Doesn't black tarry stool means bleeding from somewhere. I shouldn't be too concerned?

Sorry meant to say I'm already on a PPI
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi, If you are bleeding from some where, this could be a gastric or duodenal ulcer causing black and tarry stool.
In such case, you should consult your doctor, who would immediately send your stool for occult blood and if found positive, will post you for an Upper GI Endoscopy.
Good Luck.