What causes black tarry stool while on Ketosis for weight loss?
I am in ketosis for weight lose, all is going well but I had black very tarry stools today.
Can you please tell me if the two could be linked.
I am taking no medication.I have had no medicine in the past 8 days.
Weight loss with black tarry stool
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Weight loss in combination with black tarry stool should not be taken lightly. As per your history , you are not using iron supplements which further points towards an upper GI bleed which presents with melena (black stool). In the setting of weight loss these are alarm symptoms and an upper GI endoscopy should be considered to rule out a serious cause such as malignancy, in consultation with your doctor.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes vomiting and dirrehea with weight loss
- Constipation watery stools weight loss causes
- What are the causes of slow weight loss
- What is the cause of dizziness and rapid weight loss
- What causes abdominal discomfortbloating and weight loss with constipation
- What causes sudden weight loss and pain in neck
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- Persistent vomiting weight loss what could be the cause
- What causes weight loss in a new born baby
- What causes drastic weight loss