What causes black stools with backache?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Lower back pain (back went out) 1to10 feels like an 8, today being the 5th day. Having black stool, looks like I ate a bag of oreo's. Stool looks normal just black in color. Accompanied with 3 days of heartburn. Age 63, male.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GI bleeding may be the reason

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history well and understood the concerns.
Heartburn with black stool is indicated of gastrointestinal bleeding unless proved otherwise.
Hence I would advise you the following in such a situation for which you have to take help of your Consulting Doctors:
First of all get the stool tested for three days - particularly for malena that is occult blood.
Relevant blood tests.
Upper GI Endoscopy if possible considering your heart status and symptoms.
Get started with a PPI like Omeprazole or as advised.
Antacids.
soft bland diet.
You need to shift to another medications instead of Aspirin.
Low back ache may be due to local muscle or inter-vertebral joints pain and thus needs clinical examination by your Doctor and investigations as needed like X-ray/CT/MRI to confirm the diagnosis and get proper management.
Proper clinical evaluation and management of the present medical conditions afresh.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please give feedback too.
With Regards.