What causes black stools along with blood in stool?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My mom has black stools and has passed some blood the other day. What can I do for her, she is 91 years old.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop Coumadin- take to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and history related to Coumadin and black stools and some blood in stool.

The history of patient on Coumadin is an obvious reason for the bleeding in stool and black stools.
The black stools occur if the bleeding is from the stomack or small intestines and initial part of large bowel. By the time this blood comes to the rectum, it turns black due to chemical reaction.

I would suggest you the following:
Stop Coumadin next dose and do not start till advised by a Doctor.
Take your Mother to ER to get the bleeding profile, Prothrombine time and INR done ASAP and to get an appropriate treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T