• question-icon

What causes black stool?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I drink 3 to 4 Martinis a day. I got sick and now I have a black liquid fowl sewage smelling diarrhea. I quit drinking 5 days ago to get through this but I can't stop the diarrhea. I've tried eating bananas, breads,... To thicken it. The first couple of days I had a low grade fever 99.5% but 98.6% since then. In the beginning I had a slight discomfort in my right mid abdominal side it now can barely feel it only when I have to deficate. I feel my body might be going through detoxification. Also to rule out the dark feces, I am not taking a Bismuth. ???
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Black stool is a classic sign of intestinal bleeding. Alcohol is notorious for causing internal bleeding when you drink as much as you have been drinking. 3-4 martinis a day is highly dangerous and enough to cause internal hemorrhage. Detoxification is not the major problem here -- you may be having gastrointestinal hemorrhage caused by alcoholism. You need to call 911 and go to an emergency room immediately.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist