What causes black stool?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i never noticed my stool. but yesterday and today my stool was almost black in color... does it indicate any problem
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the stool tested. Please share the reports thereafter.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Although black/dark stool could be due to bleeding in the gastrointestinal cause, it could also be due to certain dietary principles as well as iron supplements.

I would insist you to get your stool tested for routine microscopy including occult blood test. After getting the test done you can upload the results and I can guide you further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha