What causes black stool?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am a 32yr old male 6'2" 250lbs. Healthy for the most part. In the last 48hrs I have experienced what I thought was a nasty stomach flu but with no diarrhea. I forced my self to throw up a couple times but for the most part spent 24 hours in bed in achy pain and extreme discomfort. Now the symptoms have about cut in half except the now with black stool....Any suggestions? Also nothing has changed in my diet or routine...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The black stool should be investigated to rule out the possibility of an upper GI bleed or melena. Naked examination of the stool sample with routine examination in the lab should be done. If pus cells and blood are found along with constitutive symptoms such as fever and anorexia then antibiotics and fluid replacement should ensue immediately.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil