What causes black stool?

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My bowel movement for the last three days has been blacker than I hand ever seen. No problems though.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? Melena; if so, you will require medical attention at the earliest sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. A blackish or tarry colour stool is called melena and is as a result of an upper GI bleed in majority of cases. But it can also occur if you are on iron supplements, or any other supplements that have a high iron content.

But if you are not on any such supplements or increased iron intake, then you need to report to a gastroenterologist at the earliest for an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy to find the source of the bleed and treat it.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan