What causes black stool?

Posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have black stool for about a week ? How serious is this
and should I be concerned having to wait this long to see a
specialist

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Melena, upper GI endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If the blood counts do not show severe anemia and you don't have any symptoms other than the black stool then one can wait for 3rd of December. Black stool points towards an upper Gastrointestinal bleed which should be primarily ruled out. It can also be as a result of iron supplementation and diet changes but black charcoal like stool indicate a bleed. It is known as melena. Upper GI endoscopy would be advised to locate any bleeding focus. In the meanwhile you should be on PPIs like pantoprazole +/_ sucralfate.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil