What causes black stool?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have black stools since last night. What are my options as far as a diagnosis is concerned
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further tests required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Black stool can mean some disorders or may not be related to any disease an be related to certain food and drink intake.
However, it may be sign of gastrointestinal bleeding especially from upper part such as stomach of duodenum. In many cases ulcers,but also polyps or tumors may cause such bleeding. SO you should see doctor, do red blood count and upper endoscopy of stomach and colonoscopy if required. If you notice fresh blood in stool, you need to see doctor as soon as possible. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D