question-icon

What causes black stool?

Posted on Thu, 4 Jun 2015
Question: Just empty my stoma bag and had black poo not on any tablets not eaten anything diffrant a part from having a open wound I'm ok
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
see doctor as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your question.
Black stool is an indicator of bleeding into the gastrointestinal system, usually in the upper part of the system like the stomach. It can also be caused by pepto-bismol or iron supplements. If you are not taking either of those then I recommend that you see a doctor as soon as possible. Make sure to take in some of the black stool so they can test it for blood.
I hope you can be seen soon,
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson