What causes black stool?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Feb 2015 in General Health
Question: Question: Should I go to emergency?
Yesterday I went to urgent care, had black stool on Sunday but no stool since.
I sleep 8 hours during the day and 9 at night. I am weak and light headed.
Dec 24, started a steriod pack for calf pain and ended 4 days ago. I have
no symtoms of flu. Just weakness, very tired
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should go to ER for further evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

1. Having black stool is indicating that there is bleeding in the upper part of GI tract. The fact that you are not having black stool so far is a good sign that bleeding has stopped.

2. Being weak and light headed is indicating that you have developed anemia due to bleeding and a sign that your health situation is being altered.

3. Steroid pack you started might have triggered such symptoms. Steroids use might be another cause to bleeding.

I advised to schedule an appointment with GI specialist as soon as possible to evaluate your health situation further. If you cannot manage to schedule within a couple of days, you should go to ER for immediate evaluation.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad