What causes black spots in the line of vision when diagnosed with migraine headache?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: On several mornings I have waked up before daylight, (TV is on, tho') and I see a very distinct, black, or maybe deep, deep purple round spot with regularly curved edges . I see it out of both eyes. If I hold up my hand, both eyes open, I see it on my hand and in relation to my hand it is about the size of a quarter. I am not sure how low long this lasts as I am slowly waking, but many minutes to an hour. When I get up and stay in the light, it goes away. I have migraine headaches but they have just about gone away since menopause, (age 54). Otherwise I am in excellent health.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The fact that the spot disappears is heartening because it is against neurological causes in which case the loss of vision would be persistent and repeatedly improve spontaneously. The same fact applies to some eye conditions such as macular degeneration (common with age) which would also be persistent.

So the most likely explanation would be a type of migrainous aura, which can manifest even in the absence of headache. The other possibility would be your retina having difficulties adaptin to change from darkness to light (but I would still put migraine as more likely as in that case it shouldn't be on the same spot on both eyes).

For the moment I wouldn't say any intervention is necessary, only if the episodes are not transitory but become permanent, or if there appear other symptoms such as flashes of light, permanent cobwebs in your eyesight etc would a visit from an eye specialist become necessary.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.