What causes black spot on the waistline in a diabetic?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I have a black dot on my waistline. It is where my pants dig in underneath a fold of fat / skin. I do have type 2 diabetes, Recently I had a lap band / bariatric surgery to revove. I was very anemic, and had an iron transfusion. I also have herpes. There is a skin tag next to the black spot. It is not unusally pain ful. It is not elevated, and almost looks like a bruise, but id a spot, or dot. Any idea what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do find time to attach clear images of the region

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. If you do not mind, please do attach clear images of the spot to our discussion here for my examination or email them to me at

YYYY@YYYY

and please do mention 'ATTN: Dr. Shoaib Khan' in the subject like.

I would also like to ask you since when you have diabetes and what your last 2-3 readings of blood sugar or HbA1c were?

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Dear Doctor attached are the images please suggest
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to diabetes, friction or a mole

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Thank you so much for the images. In my opinion the cause for the spot is probably the diabetes itself and the diagnosis could be either of the following:

1. Acanthosis nigricans: Causes darkened skin, especially in skin folds. Skin in the region can become XXXXXXX or brown, and sometimes raise. But this is more commonly seen in individuals who are overweight; are you?

Weight loss helps

2. Disseminated granuloma annulare: Well defined ring or arc-shaped structures on the skin that can be brown, reddish-brown or skin coloured. Usually treatment is not required as it subsides itself, but steroids can also be used.

I would also like you to keep a close check on your blood glucose levels to make sure it is being well controlled. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.