What causes black spot in vision post Eylea injection in eye?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had Eyelea injection in my left eye this morning. Since that time, I have a large black spot in front of my eye . Is this normal? How long will it take to go away?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are named Vitreous Floaters and are simply harmless!!!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the best health portal available online. Your trust in HCM makes us successful professionals to help patients from around the globe.

I feel sorry for the disturbing situation that landed you here at this website. I have carefully reviewed your case and want to assure you that these are benign, harmless and common symptoms that are experienced by almost 6-7% of the patients after EYLEA injection.

This EYLEA is actually an injection that is injected into the VITREOUS HUMOR part of the eye. This is liquid gel-like portion and when we inject the medicine here it may cause the symptoms you feel and named as VITREOUS FLOATERS--that actually are the spots which appear due to breaking apart of the jelly like vitreous of eye in tiny loose pieces. They float in the visual field of patient and are harmless in most of the cases. You may say they are just an Artifact in the picture of your eye.

Once the injected medicine is dissolved, the vitreous will settle back into its original shape and consistency of being gel-like and you will feel OK. Very rarely there is a need for Vitrectomy surgery to resolve the issue. I don't think you will need any such intervention.

Sometimes these floaters can also be seen in Posterior Detachment of the vitreous and for that reason I suggest you to call the office of your Eye Surgeon, just to make sure that everything is fine. If felt appropriate, he may ask for a clinic visit.

Please feel free to contact me back anytime for any further assistance if needed. If satisfied here please click on close this discussion and give your valuable feedback. For future direct consultations simply click on: http://tinyurl.com/drhanifmd

REGARDS!
DR. HANIF
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak