What causes black raised pigmentation on the hand?

Posted on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, my sister has a birthmark on her hand and I just noticed a slightly raised black pigmentation on it today. Is this Melanoma from what you could tell from the picture? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a pigmented nevus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I have checked the attached image. It is possibly just a pigmented nevus. It cannot be commented definitively without a biopsy but if the size remains the same (with respect to the size of her hand) since birth, there is no reason to get apprehensive.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha