What causes black faeces after flu infection?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had the Flue over Christmas and am basically over it now. However, I have black feces for the last few days. What is the cause?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Black faeces

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Black faeces is due to Melena i.e. passage of stools rendered tarry and black by the presence of altered blood. Melena results from bleeding above the first section of the duodenum, with partial digestion of the hemoglobin.
It might have been caused by gastric erosion induced by OTC(Over-the-counter) pain-killer or NSAID(Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug), taken at some stage of flu.
You need to subject stool for occult blood test immediately and consult a ER doctor accordingly.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T