What causes black eye without any injury?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 7 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 43 year old man with several illnesses. I woke up this morning and had a small left side black eye in the bag area only. Also a little on the right side but not as bad. It does not hurt at all. I know I have not suffered any trauma to either eyes. My meds are mercaptopurine 6mp, valdoxine, clonazapam, andepra, rozvastatin, norspan 2 x weekly patches 20mg each.
I have never had this before and just wondered if it's something I need to be concerned about. I see my doctor monthly. I just wondered if it's urgent that I see her. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The skin around our eyes is much loose as compared to other areas and has very little subcutaneous fat. It is possible that due to some reason some blood vessel in that area has ruptured. The resultant extravasated blood has collected in the dependent area to give you the black eye. Irrespective of any intervention it will be there for 5-7 days and may even increase during this period. It does not call for medical intervention.

However, it would be advisable to get your blood pressure checked. Unless it is elevated you need not grow concerned.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.