What causes black dots on underside of penis?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have six or seven black dots, size of a pencil point, and scab like on underside of penis. prior to appearing the area was swollen and itching. this has happened twice prior about two years ago. tested positive for hsv 1 only. STD free on all others. is this attributable to the hsv 1 or something else?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Genital Herpes scars due to HSV 1

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

These black dots are tiny and grouped and present over the underneath of penis. This could be due to scars of genital Herpes. As you mentioned in your past history (had twice before two years),it could be a recurrence as recurrences are common with Herpes infection.

HSV 2 infection is an exclusively sexual transmitted infection, whereas HSV 1 is commonly manifest around mouth, and nose and spreads through non-sexual route, that is with close skin to skin contact or through wet objects. HSV 1 rarely can be transmitted to ano-genital area through oral sex.
You are HSV 1 positive. Depending upon on your sexual activities in the past, HSV 1 could have been transmitted to genitals.
Nothing much to be worried.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 20 hours later
i forgot to mention that i also have ringing in my left ear. went to ent dr and said nothing is wrong. had hearing test and there is some moderate hearing loss. he could not find a cause for the ringing. Could it be due to the hsv 1 as i read it lays dormant in a nerve near the ear? can anything be taken to alleviate the ringing?

thank you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ear ringing and hearing loss not related to HSV 1.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HSV 1 has nothing to do with ringing in the ear or hearing loss.
It is true HSV remain dormant in nerve ganglion but it can affect only skin and mucous membrane, not the nerves. Herpes Zoster (HZV) is a very different skin condition which can involve the nerves.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj