What causes black discoloration of toe nail?

Dermatologist
Question
why is big toe nail black"g
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infective, please provide pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Pigmentation or black discoloration of toe nail can point towards various possible causes.
It can occur due to any trauma to nail leading to a small hemorrhage underneath the nail. It can be due to a toe nail infection like fungal or it can be due to other local and systemic causes.
I would like to have a look at the exact nail conditio n . Please click some close up pictures of the nail and upload them here on this page.
Also tell since when do you have this discoloration?
Is it only on a single nail?
Developed suddenly or slowly increasing?
Any pain or discomfort?
Is the surrounding skin normal? Any swelling of nail folds?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul