What causes black colored swelling between fingers of hand?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The top of my hand, between my thumb and pointer finger was swollen and hurt on Saturday. It was black and blue, and now fading, but there is a small bump on the bone by the pointer finger. I don't remember banging my hand.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks to be soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The changes described are suggestive of soft tissue trauma and may continue with Ice fomentation, Limb elevation, compression bandage, Ibuprofen along with prescription only drug (trypsin/chymotrypsin) to reduce swelling for few days.
Having said that to understand better I would like to know-Do you have fever or the swelling is warm and very tender to touch?
Are you able to make a tight fist?
Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 13 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply!
No, no fever. The swelling went down and doesn't feel warm. The bump is a little tender and I can make a tight fist.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a soft tissue Injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you.
You are welcome. I have gone through your reply carefully and look to be non serious soft tissue Injury and may follow the suggestion as given earlier.
Do you take aspirin or any other drugs regularly?
Take Care

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 15 hours later
I usually take baby aspirin, and take levothyroxine 75 mcg and vytorin 10/40. A friend suggested it might be a cyst as she had a similar situation.

Thank you for your answers Dr. Chugh!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti clotting drugs may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You are welcome.
After going through your reply it does not looks to be a cyst as cyst do not have feature like bluish and blackish discoloration. As you are on anti clotting drugs like aspirin which does not allow blood to clot in response to injury. This may be the reason for swelling with bluish and blackish discoloration.

It was pleasure assisting you.