• question-icon

What causes black colored stool?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a quick question. when there is bleeding in the stomach or upper gi is the entire stool black or is it possible for there to only be a peice of the stool that is black. I am asking because I had a bowel movement today and it was normal brown except for two sections that were black. I am not sure if it is diet related or not. I did have cookies and cream ice cream with oreos a few days ago and wonder if that's what it is from. on the same day had some blueberries for breakfast as well.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stool for occult blood test to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answer is-
It depends on the amount of blood which is oozing into stomach.The blood in intestine is acted upon by digestive enzymes giving it a black tarry color.If the amount of bleed is small then a part of the stool can be like tar while of bleed is more a large volume of stool would be like tar.

However initially i would suggest you to go for a test called stool for occult blood to make sure whether its blood or just stool with different color.

P.S-Blue berries can give black color to stool.So right now just wait and watch if this happens again go for occult blood test.
Hope i was helpful.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
so bowel movement today was basically all brown. there was a very small part that was very dark, maybe black but it was a lot less than yesterday. could this still be some leftover food?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Food once taken takes almost 48-72 hours to leave the body.
Hence i would suggest you to wait for a total of 72 hours whether to go for tests or not would be decided after 72 hours.
As bowel color is returning back to brown(natural) i think it was just food.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 hours later
Just wanted to let things were normal today. No black streaks or anything so obviously food related.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely food related.

Detailed Answer:
Hey again,
Happy to hear that.
It was due to blue berries most likely.
Just keep a watch on stool color for next few days.

Wish you a great day ahead.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist