What causes black coating on tongue?
Due to Nutrional deficiency / infection....
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query,
Black coating on your tongue is not always worrisome. The usual causes are
- depapillation of papillae ( taste buds) on tongue
- increase bacteria or yeast growth
- Nutrional deficiency : vitamin B 12 , folic acid , zinc deficiency
- Drug induced (especially antibiotics)
Some individuals who have history of constipation also have such discoloration.
In this circumstances, I would suggest you try the following steps
- Practice good oral hygiene / Clean your tongue using tongue scraper .
- Drink plenty of water through out the day to clean your mouth .
- Take healthy nutritious diet add more roughage to your diet .
- You can take Vitamin B 12 , folic acid and zinc supplements. The supplements are over the counter at most places. You can check with your pharmacist.
If symptoms persist despite the aforementioned treatment, visit a doctor to rule out infections.
I hope you do not smoke or have history of constipation. If yes, you need to apply changes.
Hope I answered your query ,
If you have further query I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What cause baby black patch tongue
- What causes black tongue discoloration
- Black tongue disease causes
- What causes fluffy tongue
- What causes burning sensation on tongue with white coating
- What causes black blotches on the tongue
- Black hairy tongue causes
- What causes tongue to turn black after vomiting
- Cause of yellow coated tongue
- What is the cause for black splotches on my tongue