What causes black and yellow tinted nails?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: A few days ago I removed fingernail polish and on my big toe I noticed it was cracked and a yellow tinted at the top of the nail and there are several black spots under the nail as well. Could the black spots be melanoma or just blood clots or something else?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably a blood clot!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am sorry to hear about the disturbing thoughts that you have concerning what you found underneath the toenail. Please, melanoma does not develop over days. This is a very slow growing cancer that can only develop over years. Please, drop this as any reason to worry about. It is no possibility. This is probably a blood clot from tight fitting shoes or minor injury that passed so fast that you never took note of.

In all, this is a blood clot. This is no melanoma. Be calm and relaxed. It would be absorbed over time but this can take months. Still if you can upload a photo of the lesion, I will be better able to help.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj