Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes black and flaky skin of penis with red sore spot?

Answered by
Dr. Ilyas Patel


Practicing since :1982

Answered : 3413 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Penis Problems
Question: About a month back The skin on my penis turned Black and flaky and peeled of leaving a sore red spot. This healed in about 4 days and again reappeared at another place. I consulted a physician and he presribed Bacitracin ointntment and 0.5% Clobestasol cream along with Terbinafine Chloride Tablet.
The same doctor diagnosed that i also have Blepharitis and asked me to apply Clobestasol on Outer eyelids. Now after continuing the treatment for a few days the sore red patch was completely healed.
Howeever the croth and shaft of my penis does itch sometimes(Very mild and sporadically). The shaft turns slightly dark and then when i rub it a very small amount of fine grainy white powder(Probably skin flakes) come of.
However the Blephiritis has seen no improvement.
I reconsulted the docter he asked me not to worry about advised me to continue to apply the Topical creams
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contact allergic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

I read history and saw the photo.

It seems that you may be having contact allergic dermatitis on eye lids. And the similar lesions also occured on scrotum and penis. So, I think probably you may be having atopic diathesis. The lesions on eye lids,penis and scrotum might be contact allergic dermatitis. The disease may be called atopic dermatatis. You consult dermatologist for firm diagnosis and perfect treatment.

I usually treat my patient having such problem in following manner..

- suspected allergens like pollens,grass,cosmetic,house dust,housedust mite,fume, pollutants,woollen clothes,soap...

- to avoid certain food like nuts,cow milk,sea food,fermented food..

- steroids in tappering dose for 2 to 3 weeks.

- antihistaminics like levocetirizine till itch is relieved

- short course of antibiotics.

- to apply Tacrolimus oint 0.03 % on dry lesions

- to apply combined antibiotic and steroid cream on wet lesions.

- to avoid soap at bath ..use dettol liquid

Please consult dermatologist and have proper treatment. Above suggested treatment is for your guidance.

I hope you got my answer..still,any may ask.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 40 hours later
I live in a Remote area. I would have to travel for atleast 200 KM to reach a dermatologist. It is for this reason I had to consult a General practitioner.
I have had one more flareup on Penis yesterday. It is neither painful nor itchy though. It would take another week or two for me to consult a Dermatologist. Can you advice me on any OTC drugs so as keep this to minimum before i can visit a dermatologist.
also If i Visit a dermatologists will i need to get some tests done?
Also can you tell me whether this condition is a permanent condition or can it be treated? because lot of material on web says it is a life long condition and this indeed makes me worried?
PS: I have added 2 pics of the new flare on my penis
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic cotact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

I can understand your position.. You just apply combined cream like quadriderm cream may get as OTC product till you consult dermatologist. And to relieve itch if you have than take tab atarax 10 mg at night.

I advise firmly to have dermatologist consultation whenever you get time..and have tests as advised by him...ok

Wishing you good health.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Bacitracin

doctor1 MD

Hello,Dr.Grief. I have sebborhiac dermatitis on the shins of my legs. I ve been to my dermatologist who perscribed Bacitracin zinc creme,which semed to help,but made the skin thin. I ve recently started to shampoo my shins with Denorex and T-Gel shampoos,which seem to help. if you have any suggestions,I welcme them.

doctor1 MD

Infection in postage stamp sized area where a melanoma biopsy was taken. Initially treated with bacitracin but infection set in and after 7 days wound was oozing and painful. Treatment was then started with 500mg Cephalexin twice daily. Now after 3 days there is no reduction in swelling or pain. How long should I wait to see if this medication approach is working. Ray Haney

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a winter rash every year on several parts of my body, but it resolves at spring. Now I have one on my arm that is very itchy, and it s somewhat swollen, I have tried many moisturizers and also bacitracin. It doesn t heal, and bleeding when scratching. Also I have upper back pain for a week, I suspect my working chair is too cushioned, and not suitable. I also feel dry even I drink a lot of water.

doctor1 MD

Hi ! Five days ago I had a tip of nose biopsy for another basal cell carcinoma. I cleansed the area as directed but am noticing redness & slight pus around site . Tried bacitracin ! Seemed to make it worse . Now I am just letting air get to it . Could this be a fungal infection & how can I treat it? Thank you for your help!

doctor1 MD

I am following up regarding below question: I uploaded pictures of the affected hands. The problem started 2 years ago, subsided in between, flared up again in the last 4 weeks. We took treatment from dermatologist earlier, continued Topisol...

doctor1 MD

I ran an ax into my leg about 4 inches above my ankle in the front. I did it Nov 17 and didn't get to Dr until Nov 22. Although I treated it with peroxide and anti=bacterial salve was very red around it. It's vertical about 1.5 inches. She...

doctor1 MD

I have a red spot on the tip of my penis that im tather worried about.