What causes bitter taste in the mouth while eating or drinking?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Every time I eat and drink everything is bitter
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

I'm sorry you are having this problem. One of the most common causes of a bitter taste is from acid reflux. If you think this might be possible for you, consider trying Zantac 150 mg twice a day for 3-5 days and see if that makes a difference. If it does, consider general lifestyle changes for GERD such as decreasing acidic foods, alcohol, caffeine, and mint, eating smaller amounts at a time, and other changes.

Other causes include:
Dental problems - inflamed gums, cavities. If you haven't seen the dentist recently, consider going now.

Tobacco (smoking or chewing)

Dry mouth - particularly from Sjogrens disease (an autoimmune disorder) but it can happen any time a person has a dry mouth.

Pine nuts (eating pine nuts can cause a bitter taste for up to 48 hrs afterwards)

Certain medications and some vitamin/mineral supplements

Sinus infections and colds

If you think any of these apply to you, we can talk more about them and what to do about it.