What causes biting habit in a child?
This is a way of expression in this age group
Thanks for the query
Biting habit is common in this age group.Babies of this age are not learned enough to express their emotions like adults. This is the stage of social,language and cognitive development.Aggression or temper tantrum is a part of development.The biting habit is just a way of expressing their emotions be it anger,affection or to get an attention.
You have to notice that when,why and whom she is biting.Teach her the various expressions like hugging,kissing,to say that I am angry with you and to use this instead of biting.
Spend enough time with her so that she does not bite just to get an attention.
Once you get to know, try to avoid that situation which has incited her to bite.
Just hold her tightly when you see that she is about to bite and say "No baby,this is a bad habit.Don't do this.(This is called negative reinforcement)"At the same time you can teach her right way of expression.After that give her reward like a toy or toffee and say "Good girl now you will get this if you won't bite in future".(This is called positive reinforcement by giving reward).
She will grow out of it in time as she will learn the other ways of expressing herself.So keep trying your best and don't get disheartened.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any more doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What bite causes a dead arm
- What causes child to vomit black
- What is the cause of bruising in a child
- What causes a protruding belly in a child
- What is the cause of child s hangmans fracture
- Bite causing bruise causes
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- What is the cause of recurring bites on body
- What causes recurring fever in a child
- What causes the habit of rubbing ears