What causes bilateral mastoid pain?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
My daughter has been having bilateral mastoid pain for the past 9 months. It is not constant but in the beginning would happen maybe once a week and it's been getting progressively worse. This week she had 4 episodes. The pain has never lasted for more then a couple of hours at a time but it's almost unbearable for her. She has never had an ear infection or complained of inner ear pain. I brought her to the doctor yesterday and her ears look clear. She's never had a fever with the pain and never any discharge. The doctor has ordered a CT scan. Any ideas of what could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mastoiditis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
There is a condition called chronic suppurative otitis media. It usually presents with mastoud tenderness and pain only. There can be hearing loss on audiometry. The doctor has ordered CT scan to diagnose this only. You should get the CT scan done and also a pure tone audiometry done.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
In most of the CSOM cases, surgery may be required but anything cannot be said with confirmation unless we get the investigations done.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Take care Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana