What causes balanitis?

Question
I was having some pain in my testicles as well as discomfort when I urinated so my doctor treated me with rosephin and bacterium and said if I didn't feel better in a week come back. The symptoms are now gone for about three days, but I have developed a fairly intense case of balanitis on the left side of my penis. My question is would the fact I am still taking bactrim pills rule this out as a bacterial infection? And if so what do I do to cure it ?
Are there viral causes for balanitis?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It might be yeast infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

There are various causes for Balanitis which include:
-Yeast infection (the most common cause).
-bacterial infections,
-Viral infection .
- sexually transmitted infections,
-skin irritation and allergy.

Since you are in antibiotics right now ,I would exclude bacterial cause.
Most common cause is Candida infection (yeast infection).
The treatment consist is using an anti -fungal cream :
Clotrimazole topical cream applied twice a day for 10-14 days (Mycelex,Lotrimin )
OR Miconazole topical cream applied twice a day for 10-14 days.

Meanwhile :
-Gentle retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin.
-Avoid soaps (they can irritate the skin and make the inflammation worse).
-You may use salt baths for symptomatic relieve.

If the symptoms get worse or won't seem to pass after 1 week ,you should consult a physician and get examined.You may need some tests to determine the cause of the infection.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any additional question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati

Follow-up: What causes balanitis? 3 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply. I will do that. Though when I first developed it I researched that cause and found it was uncommon in circumcised males. But I bought some lotromin and began applying it however it itched so badly I stopped and switched to cleaning it with betadine and applying iodine tincture. It really stings but it doesn't itch anymore thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to take the treatment correctly.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Since you are taking antibiotics candida is the most common cause.
It is important to use the medication correctly because once you start with the course of the medicine which is the application of the antifungal cream you should complete it without any break.
I suggest to start applying the clotrimazol cream twice a day for 2 weeks accompanied by weekly tablet of fluconazole (oral antifulgal) once a week for two weeks.

If the itching and pain is intense you can apply a moderately potent topical steroid like beclomethasone, (hydrocortisone 1% is very mild ).

If the symptoms persist after this then you should consult your doctor and get examined.A swab from urethra should be examined to identify the cause of this infection.

Hope it helps.
Fell free to ask further questions.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati