What causes bad taste in the mouth?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am 70 and in good health. Ht 5'9", wt 162. I had prostate cancer 8 years ago with successful prostatectomy and no recurrence. My father died of pancreatic cancer at 86 and his uncle died of same. Lately I have had a strange taste in my mouth I can best describe as tasting like wheat such as from cereal. It seems to come from my saliva and breath. I eat a lot of cereal and wheat toast, etc. but this taste is a new experience and is persistent hours after I have eaten wheat. It subsides when I go w/o wheat. A med text suggested the possibility of an absorption issue perhaps due to a disease of the pancreas. This has me concerned. Am I over reacting or are there certain tests I should request. I have an annual physical but am not due for another for several months.

Wed, 30 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be glutein sensitivity.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

See most likely cause of changed taste or a metallic taste like sensation in mouth is suggestive of acid peptic disorder however you have not mentioned any history of acid peptic disorder so lets move to a rare sign but is seen in some patients of celiac disease or glutein sensitivity is a sensation of wheat or glutein like flavour in your mouth,However again i would say that its very rare.

Change in taste sensation associated with metallic mouth is a very common symptom of acid reflux.
Test suggested by me is-

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies It is positive in about 98% of patients with celiac disease who are on a gluten-containing diet.
You just need to give 5ml blood sample to your nearest lab.
Pancreatic pathology as such does not causes such signs.
Would definitely ask you to go for above mentioned test as taste and smell is directly related to wheat in food.

Hope i was helpful regards!

Follow-up: What causes bad taste in the mouth? 11 hours later
I do have lactose intolerance but control it by minimizing dairy in my diet and with lactose tablets as needed. I also have some history of acid reflux but seldom in recent years. Both lactose and reflux seem under control. I wii request celiac test as you suggest though I know of no family history of it and do not suffer from diarrhea

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Please get the test for celiac done and follow up with reports my dear.

I wish you a good luck!
Thanks and regards!