What causes bad cough and breathing problem after inhaling water during an accident?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: About 3 weeks ago I inhaled water during a water related accident. I have had trouble breathing and have been to the er twice. They have not found anything wrong as far as pneumonia or clots, however I am still having issues and trouble with breathing and about two weeks ago started getting a bad cough accompanied with the constant feeling of having swallowed wrong. Like something is stuck in my airway. What could going on
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of bronchitis is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You were having drowning like accident.
And this can cause bronchitis (inflammation of airways).
And this bronchitis can cause breathing difficulty and cough.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You will mostly improve with inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.