What causes bad breath or taste in the mouth?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: How can I tell if bad breath/taste in mouth is due to tonsils or other issues?
When I cough, I get this bad taste in the bad of my mouth. My dentist have cleared me as far as cavities and I floss daily, brush 2x daily, scrap my tongue, as well as rinse with Listerine.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please dont worry you will be fine!

Detailed Answer:
hello

Please dont worry , i think you are too concerned about the bad smell from your mouth and i think you should not be using so many mouth washes and medications as all of them have some potential to damage the lining of your mouth.

If your dentist has examined you and tolsd that your teeth are fine , then the most likely source will be in the tonsils , for this you will have to meet your ent doctor , who will examine you and confirm this.

There can be two more causes for bad breath namely sinus infection and a condition called as pharyngeal pouch/diverticula , although the second condition is quite rare, but it can still be a possibility, For both these conditions , you will again need an ent examination.

Please meet your ent doctor , he will be in the best position to help you!

Please dont worry , you will be fine!

Thanks