What causes bad breath from the mouth after smoking?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: have some kind of odor problem going on that I'm too embarrased to ask someone about. It's got to the point where i walk close to someone and I they hold their nose. I recently went back to smoking becasue when i quit, i just was able to detect smells better and they were still bad. I shower twice a day and exercise a lot and drink water and brush once a day and use a anti bacteria mouthwash. I think the odor is coming from mouth and nose but not sure. Its a general smell i detect, the other thing too is that i dont smell good things often only bad smells, this is relatively new - about a year or so. I'm 39 and look and appear healthy, but i have a job interview coming up and this could be the downfall. It really erodes any confidence i have.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic odor in a smoker almost always comes from mouth.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Chronic odor in a smoker almost always comes from mouth. And in spite of mouth wash it will come through.
It can also be due to some hidden infection in teeth--get a dental opinion.
It can also be due to nose--a fungal infection due to smoking--get an ENT opinion.
It can come from stomach too.
And finally from sweating.
I will advise you to get ENT and dental check up. Meanwhile take a good antioxidant vitamin preparation with Betacarotene, vitamin C and lactobacilli daily.
Also try a digestive preparation with activated charcoal in it.
You are doing enough and great you stopped smoking!--regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D