What causes bad body odor while on dialysis?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: My wife told me that I smell like rotten blood mixed with urine. Since I never detected such an odor on me or about me, I very strongly protested even to the idea that I smell. No even any of my underwear ever smelled like this to me. After checking the internet, I found that it might be possible I smell, is it possible? Please tell me if this is possibly some kind of disease. Tell me whether it is possible I might be smelling that way so I should apologize to my wife for suggesting that all that was in her mind. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check the blood urea.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome and thanks for contacting us.
I understand your concern. It is possible that you may have this odor. It is not your fault. You have renal failure and are on dialysis. You should let your dialysis team know about the odor. Let them check whether your blood urea is in the normal range. You may have the smell if your blood urea is out of range. I am sure your wife would understand the situation.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.