What causes backache?

Posted on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hi I have excessive pain in my back about the middle of my back, my doctor said it was muscle pain and to take panadol. It is getting worse and my father died of pancreas cancer, where I now he had excessive pain in his back.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your self investigated Detailed Answer: Hi I have gone through your query, I would try my best to reduce your suffering.keeping in mind your medical history and weight. Backache could be because of benign cause like osteoporosis. But having said that and your concern along with the family history of pancreatic cancer with breast cancer my advice would be to get your self investigated by PET scan, blood test for CA 19-9 after discussing with your doctor. Pancreatic cancer is often undetected until it has spread to other areas of the body. I would suggest about this concern again with your treating doctor. He will understand it and order for above mentioned investigations. Alternatively you may consult another specialist who can order above mentioned investigations to rule out the possibility of cancers. Hope this helps. Take care and wish you good health.If you have any further query,i shall be glad to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement