Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What causes back pain with history of hip bursitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
Had a left side hip Busitis over 8 weeks ago., I was advised to Rest and not do any major activities and let it heal on its own.. Now I have started getting bad back pains as well, I have read That sometimes your Gait changes when
walking and could have been brought on by the hip being affected

Any ideas Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need muscle strengthening exercises

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully the backache looks to be because of rest for long time along with bursitis at hip.
In bursitis at hip, the normal gait changes to Trendlenberg gait that is sideways tilting of back that leads to excessive stress on back muscle. This occurs because of Inflammation at muscle attachment supporting the pelvis.
For your backache my suggestion would be -hot water fomentation
-Pain killer like Ibuprofen along with muscle relaxant drugs (prescription only) Thiocolchicoside.
Hope this suffices and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes back pain with history of hip bursitis? 13 hours later
The back pains are a 24 hour thing now., Physcial therapy would help to strengthen the hip muscles taking pressure off the Back ?

As soon as This hip Burstis started The back pain came with it
I recieved a steriod injection, And I was ok for a few weeks, when the shot wear off the back pain started up and came back more intense, I would also have outer pain in my hip when I would walk in general. So it makes sense that the pain started when the hip became inflamed .

I will consult a Physical therapist and start training

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy will help

Detailed Answer:
It’s good to see you
Yes you may have a visit to physiotherapist and take the medicine as discussed earlier.
If you have further query please do not hesitate or you may please close the present discussion.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor