What causes back pain with history of hip bursitis?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Had a left side hip Busitis over 8 weeks ago., I was advised to Rest and not do any major activities and let it heal on its own.. Now I have started getting bad back pains as well, I have read That sometimes your Gait changes when
walking and could have been brought on by the hip being affected

Any ideas Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need muscle strengthening exercises

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully the backache looks to be because of rest for long time along with bursitis at hip.
In bursitis at hip, the normal gait changes to Trendlenberg gait that is sideways tilting of back that leads to excessive stress on back muscle. This occurs because of Inflammation at muscle attachment supporting the pelvis.
For your backache my suggestion would be -hot water fomentation
-Pain killer like Ibuprofen along with muscle relaxant drugs (prescription only) Thiocolchicoside.
Hope this suffices and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 13 hours later
The back pains are a 24 hour thing now., Physcial therapy would help to strengthen the hip muscles taking pressure off the Back ?

As soon as This hip Burstis started The back pain came with it
I recieved a steriod injection, And I was ok for a few weeks, when the shot wear off the back pain started up and came back more intense, I would also have outer pain in my hip when I would walk in general. So it makes sense that the pain started when the hip became inflamed .

I will consult a Physical therapist and start training

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
Yes you may have a visit to physiotherapist and take the medicine as discussed earlier.
If you have further query please do not hesitate or you may please close the present discussion.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.